That's a lot of cavalry! My ten sets of light and heavy British Dragooons (plus a bonus box of mixed cavalry) arrived loose with boxes flattened - okay with me as I'm sure it reduced postage.
The British dragoon sets fill a big void in figures for those of us who are gaming the Peninsular War, as the only 1/72 plastic figures for British cavalry previously available were for 1812 and later (with the possible exception of the hard-to-find Strelets cavalry, marketed for the Egyptian campaign but which would be suitable for pre-1812). So for the past few years I have been spinning my wheels, anxious to get my teeth into historical scenarios that require British cavalry, but with only a single regiment of KGL Hussars to take the field.
ReviewWhen they arrived, at first glance I saw much that I liked about this set. There were a lot of poses, with extra arm choices to increase the options, including a trumpeter. All the gear seemed appropriate to the time, with the braided jackets and heavy curved cavalry sword, and there was a real campaign look to these figures, with overalls, canteen, bread bag and cartridge box as well as enough carbines in the box to equip every figure with one. One curious decision on the part of HaT was to not give the Tarleton helmet a plume, whereas most illustrations of these dragoons show them with one. I can only think that perhaps the plume was not generally employed on campaign, but I think most collectors would have liked to see it included.
Unfortunately there are only two horse poses, but both are quite good and well-sculpted, and all are with the sheepskin saddle cover edged with wolf's teeth. The tails are not bobbed, as they generally were for the Peninsular campaign (causing a great deal of discomfort to the horses in that hot climate!) but I was happy to leave them long.
However on closer inspection I noticed the detail was a bit blobby, the faces, hands, cuffs and other detail not well-defined. There was also a disturbing amount of flash along the mold lines that required a fair amount of trimming with a sharp scalpel. (Fortunately the plastic is not the spongey untrimmable plastic that some infamous HaT sets are made from!) On the face of one figure a disturbing mold line runs right across it, and after trimming required a bit of reconstructive surgery to give it some shape.
Probably most frustrating, as this is entirely unnecessary, was the fact that the optional arms had holes that did not connect well at all with the pins, making them virtually impossible to attach properly! And the carbines, also separate pieces, were tricky to attach as well. Finally (and I promise my complaints will end here) the figures themselves did not grip the horses well and required pinning across the board.
 | | Trimmed, patched together , pinned and ready to be primed. |
|
0 Yorumlar